Saturday, December 26, 2009

Helpful Tips For a Good Sports Interview

Being the sports fan that I am, I have listened to and watched numerous sports shows over time and what makes them good are the interviews they do.  Then there are those shows which fail to deliver a good sports interview.  With that in mind, here are some helpful tips to a good sports interview.

1. Research as much background information as possible on the person you are interviewing.  This is a must.  Knowing a person's background information will help you formulate the questions and key points you want an individual to address.  A lack on knowledge about the person will make you look unprofessional and that you don't really know what you're talking about.  If you're interviewing Michael Jordan, don't ask him about his career with the Lakers since he never played there.

2. Get a feel for what an individual's personality is like before considering doing an interview.  Are they friendly and outgoing or are they shy and stand offish.  I can tell you from personal experience that I've done interviews with people who, when I asked them questions gave me minimal information.  Find someone in the field who isn't afraid to speak their mind and offer their thoughts on the topics discussed.

3. Ask open-ended questions.  This will help to generate a more thoughtful response from your guest.  If you're interviewing the basketball player who made a game winning shot to end the game, ask them to take you through what was going through their mind as the play was going on.  This will help eliminate one word answers. 

4. Don't upstage your guest.  Off all my tips, I feel this one is the most important.  When your guest is on the show always remember that they are the star at the moment, not you.  Don't try to prove that you know more about them than they know about themselves.  Treat every question as a story and let the guset tell their story.  Don't add on to it by interjecting your knowledge.

So there are my helpful tips to a good sports interview.  I hope this information is useful to those aspiring broadcasters like myself at some point in your life.       

No comments:

Post a Comment