Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tim's Two Cents-January 6



3D to Become a Reality in Sports Television.  Just when we thought HD was the latest and best innovation to television, now comes word that 3D technology will soon be a fixture of ESPN in te sports field.  The new ESPN 3D channel is set to debut in June.  My question is it really necessary to watch sports in 3D?  To me, the true 3D sports experience is seeing the games live in person. 

As for television, HD seems to be a very good viewing method already.  I don't have an HD television myself but I have seen some HD sports broadcasts and the picture quality is very outstanding.  It's like watching a sports film in the theatre. 

I don't know how successful this new 3D venture will be but if there was ever a company bold enough to try something like this, it would be ESPN.  They have been the unquestionable frontrunners in sports programming for 30 years and counting.  I will say that I'm not surprised an innovation like this would come along in television history.  It was probably bound to happen at some point.  It would seem really silly to wear a pair of 3D glasses while watching various forms of sports programming.  I can just picture watching a baseball game and see a home run ball not only go out of the ballpark, but also through our television sets.  Would we, the viewer, be allowed to keep the ball as a souvenir?

Photo courtesy:
Wikimedia Commons and Bobak Ha'Eri under CC-BY-SA 2.5 License     

No comments:

Post a Comment