Thursday, December 10, 2015

Rule 9.0...Whatever: The Take-Out Slide Rule

Caution!-the runner's shoes contain spiky cleats!
Photo Courtesy of:
Wikimedia
and
Stu Steeger and Mattingly23 under CC BY 2.0 License

The Take-Out slide rule seems to be well on its way to becoming reality.  In comparison to my Check-Swing rule proposal that I wrote about in a previous post, the abolishment of the Take-Out slide is of greater importance at this time for the sake of player safety.

I'll admit that I don't even know all the rules in the official Major League Baseball rule book even though it is my favorite of the 4 major professional sports in North America.  There are times when I'll learn about a new rule (new to me), that I didn't know about either during a given game broadcast or on one of MLB Network's numerous programming choices.  For all I know this kind of rule or some other version of it is probably already in the rule book.

From my own viewpoint as a fan, I want to see the best players' each team has to offer throughout the entirety of the regular season with fewer and fewer days spent on the Disabled List each year.  Over the last few years, Major League Baseball has done a good job with implementing Instant Replay and expanding it and eliminating home plate collisions. Next on the rules to-do list-addressing the action of what happens in the second base area of a baseball diamond.

Tim Musick
Copyright 2015
All Rights Reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment