Monday, March 9, 2015

Slow And Steady May Win The Race But It Doesn't Always Lead To Something Compelling

Photo Courtesy of
Wikimedia
and
Rick Dikeman
under
CC BY-SA 3.0 License

Over the years I have heard from various family members and friends of mine about what a beautiful game the game of soccer is.  Well you know what, I've tried watching the so-called grand game a few times over the years and I just don't see what the big deal is.

As the title of this post suggests, soccer seems to move at a slow and steady pace to me.  As a devoted fan and lover of baseball, I've heard those same critiques about our national pastime.  I would counter that statement by pointing out that even though the game of baseball does move at a slow and steady pace at times, there is always something happening!  Maybe I just don't fully understand all the strategic moves that go into the game of soccer like I do with baseball.


I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out!

Don't despair for me though.  There is a game that is very similar to the game of soccer which I find much more captivating and entertaining and they both the same basic of putting an inanimate object through a net to score a goal.  That is ice hockey.  What soccer feels like to me when I've watched it before, ice hockey is the total polar opposite.  It moves at a much  faster pace.  Players hit each other hard and don't act like little prima donnas afterwards when falling to the ground.  Not only do hockey players sometimes fall down hard when getting hit but they're falling on a much more slippery and potentially more dangerous surface in the form of ice.  At least soccer players have nice soft grass available to cushion their falls!    

Here's something else to take into consideration when comparing both sports.  While soccer is played on a much larger piece of real estate to that of the hockey rink, the only time a puck is legally considered to be out of play is when it goes into the stands.

Now that I've made my case for why ice hockey is much better than soccer, who out there feels brave enough to plead in favor of the world's grand game?




Tim Musick
Copyright 2015
All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment